Piffles Top 5 – MOP Candidates
Published: Wednesday, Jul 12th 2023, 2:07pm
By Alex Dormuth (@RealAlexD)
We’re only about a quarter of the way into the CFL season, but some players in the league are starting to separate themselves from the rest of the pack with their play so far. If I was voting on a Most Outstanding Player after the first few weeks of the season, here’s the top 5 players that would get my vote.
1. Vernon Adams Jr. – QB, BC Lions – The BC Lions have started the season hot and are the best team in the league. And a lot of that has to do with the play of Big Play VA. Yes, people will automatically go to his 6 INT game, but that’s just a blip on the radar. Adams is finally getting the true shot he deserves as a starting QB in the league and he’s been a huge reason for BC’s success. He leads the league in pretty much every QB stat (if you can ever find them on the CFL’s website) and ultimately, that’s usually where the votes go.
2. Willie Jefferson – DL, Winnipeg Blue Bombers – Big Willie J is up to his old tricks in Winnipeg this year, looking as great as ever. I’ll never shy away from saying I am a HUGE Willie Jefferson fan, but damn is he bringing the heat this season. He has to be in the conversation right now.
3. Mathieu Betts – DL, BC Lions – He leads the league in sacks and has been a beast on arguably the best defense in the CFL. His game has drastically improved over the last two years with the Lions and this year is his statement to the rest of the league. He’s turned into one of the absolute best players in the league.
4. Nic Marshall – DB, Saskatchewan Roughriders – For the last few years, I’ve been quite open about calling Marshall the biggest boom or bust player in the league. He will give up some big plays, no doubt, but he’s been clutch at the most important junctions of games for the Riders. Without him and his timely interceptions, they could easily be 1-3 instead of 3-1.
5. Chad Kelly – QB, Toronto Argonauts – I’ve had big time doubts about Kelly, but he’s proving me and every other detractor wrong… and I couldn’t be happier. The league needs him to succeed and while he doesn’t have the greatest stats (they have a TON of short yardage rushing TDs), he’s making great throws and more importantly, great decisions with the ball. Head Coach Ryan Dinwiddie admitted that they are making Kelly be a game manager so far, but considering he only has 4 starts to his CFL career, he’s more than passing expectations.
Honourable Mentions: Jamal Morrow (RB, Saskatchewan Roughriders), Zach Collaros (QB, Winnipeg Blue Bombers), Dominique Rhymes (WR, BC Lions), Trevor Harris (QB, Saskatchewan Roughriders)
If you're having trouble subscribing, subscribe here instead.