Top 5 – Things to Watch Between Riders and Stampeders
Published: Friday, Jul 14th 2023, 12:07pm
The Riders and Stamps are finishing up their prep for tomorrow night’s game at Mosaic Stadium. If the Riders win, they’ll have the season series against the Stampeders and would be in a great spot in the standings going into a few tough games with BC and Toronto coming up next. Here’s what we’re watching for this week for the Riders:
1. Downfield shots – The Riders moved the ball most consistently last week when they scrapped the dink and dunk offense. Harris looks comfortable throwing the intermediate passes so far this season and they need to get back to doing that. Calgary’s defensive backfield has given up some big plays this year, including a few by the Riders the last time they played… test them.
2. QB Sacks? Can the Riders get one? – I have no idea what’s going on with the Riders D-Line, but they just can not get a QB sack to save their lives. Only 1 sack over the last three games has them looking like Austin Powers lately
Gotta get to Jake Maier this game.
3. Stop the run early – Last week, the Stampeders ran all OVER the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the first half. For some reason they stopped in the second half, but the Riders can’t allow the Stamps to run at will like that. Force the Stamps to rely on Maier.
4. Will Craig Dickenson’s aggressiveness continue? I wrote about this yesterday and I like this new style. Luckily, the Riders have survived some really interesting decisions by Craig Dickenson and all the third down gambling he’s done this year. It hasn’t cost them yet, but it could have easily lost them two games.
5. Injuries… Injuries Everywhere – I wish I could tell you what is going on with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, but they are missing a TON of players due to injuries already this year. Luckily, they’ve had the depth to beat Edmonton a few times and Calgary so far, but how much more can they take? I haven’t seen a team this beat up in a LONG time. Just please, get through this game without losing anyone else.
If you're having trouble subscribing, subscribe here instead.